Monday, August 6, 2012

10 K Training

I have jumped into the last five weeks of a basic training plan to get ready for the Ed Hansen.  It feels good to have some direction again.  I'll be running three or four days a week with two or three days for cross training and one recovery day off.

This is the first race I've trained for with a concrete time goal in mind.  Last year I ran this race in 1:02:59; this year my goal is to finish in under an hour.  That's not a huge improvement, but I think it is a reasonable goal for me.

I'm also trying to get a handle on my diet with the goal of losing weight again.  I reached my goal weight late last summer, dipped about five pounds under that goal, and then gained steadily through the winter.  It has been frustrating but also a learning experience.  It takes me hours every week to burn hundreds of calories.  It takes just a few minutes at any time to eat hundreds of calories.  That's why exercise alone will never get me where I want to be- I have to watch my diet also.  Besides, if I want to perform like an athlete, I have to eat like one.

Yeah.  That's all I've got today.  Now I have to go see who is screaming and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment