Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Prenatal Abs and Core

I've been searching for good core routines that are appropriate in the second half of pregnancy, but not too easy for somebody who is not new to strength training.  Apparently, such routines are impossible to find!  I'm sure that simply sucking in your tummy while sitting or on all fours would be better than nothing, but just doesn't feel adequate for me.

So, I've been sticking with planks and variations, even though I hate them.  They are unbeatable, though, if you are looking to target every muscle in your core!  So, take 'em like medicine- not because it's tasty but because it's good for you!

Standard Plank- top of classic push up position.  Hold 30 to 60 seconds, rest, repeat for three reps.

Rocking Plank- start in Standard Plank.  Slowly rock forward on your hands and toes, then back for a count of one.  Do 2 sets of 12 to 15.

Toe Tap Plank- I usually give my shoulders a rest here by going to my elbows.  In this modified position tap right toe out to your right side, then left toe out to your left side.  That's one.  Keep your legs straight; do 2 sets of 12 to 15.

Shoulder Tap Plank- start in Standard Plank.  Tap your left shoulder with your right hand, then your right shoulder with your left hand.  That's one.  Do 2 sets of 12 to 15.

Side Plank- also known as One-Arm Balance.  It's a tricky balance pose, I open my feet just a little wider and keep them both on the floor for better stability.  In Standard Plank (feet wide) shift your weight to your right arm, lifting your left arm up straight; your feet will also shift so that you are not twisting in your body but hips are facing the same direction as the shoulders.  (This lady explains it better than I do, and with pictures of the Pink Panther!)  Hold for 30 to 60 seconds, two or three reps each side.

So, there ya go... the ab routine that Baby and I are currently enduring enjoying.  So far I've had no sign of my abdominal muscles separating so I have no idea if this routine is appropriate if that condition is present.  Hopefully I won't have to find out, not for a while at least!


2 comments:

  1. I've only ever done the plank on the elbows, I'll have to try the 'top of a push up' position one! Which do you feel is harder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! Personally doing a plank with straight arms seems to work my shoulders more, and definitely my arms. But doing planks on my elbows I seem to feel more in my core. Short answer- they're both hard! for different reasons. :o)

    ReplyDelete